Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Wakefield Update

I don't really have all that much to say since the last time I posted, but it has been 2 weeks since then, so I feel as though I should update you on the very little that has been going on at the Wakefield Apartment.


First, I have been working a good bit, which is wonderful!! I work at Seattle Drip Coffee Co. several mornings a week and then as a tutor at Sylvan Learning Center several afternoon/evenings a week. I LOVE working for the coffee shop!!! It is a lot of fun, plus I get to drink coffee all morning!! :) Sylvan is hard. Unlike regular teaching, there is no prep work or lesson plans which is great, but that also means there is no preparing for whatever subject it is you are about to have to know everything about either. You have no idea what the child is working on until they come to your table with their Sylvan binder. Kinda scary really. The thing I am really enjoying and trying to use to my advantage is how Sylvan is bettering me as a teacher. It keeps me on my toes with mathematical concepts, because I can't just look something up and study it before a student has a question about it. I am also being trained in teaching students how to read, and that is very rewarding! It is really cool to watch a child's face when they read an entire sentence alone and know they did it correctly! Elementary teachers, I now know why you do what you do! I have such an admiration for elementary teachers anyways, but I suppose if you were to see that face on a regular basis I could understand how you stick with it!! Kudos to all of you!


Richard is back in full swing with Pharmacy school. No test yet, but so far he feels good about all of his classes. There is something you should all know about my husband: he is weird and LOVES learning about this stuff. haha! Okay, I can't say much because I enjoy learning new things too, but he really has a heart for learning. When he says the only books he reads are the Bible and text books, he is serious AND he reads those for pleasure, not necessarily because he is required to for school. Yep, I married an intellectual.


Unfortunately, the beautiful mums I was so proud of a couple of weeks ago have passed. They didn't last very long, but they did their duty I suppose. They made my balcony look fall-ish for a little while. :)


I believe last time I also complained about not having cable and not being able to watch football. Well, a kind woman told me about espn.com where some of the games can be streamed through the internet!! So though the reception is HORRIBLE, it is blurry most of the time, it skips several plays, and freezes randomly, I still get to HEAR and sometime watch a few football games!! YAY!!! I am a little upset that they are not streaming the LSU vs. MSU game tonight. Yes I am aware that LSU is probably going to pummel MSU, but I still love watching my dawgs play. Maroon is my favorite color of fall! :) I will however, be watching the Auburn v. Clemson game and possible watching a replay of the Florida gators vs. Tennessee game.
Either way, I plan on eating a fabulous supper of grilled tilapia, asparagus, squash, and zucchini tonight with my sweetheart!!!


Hope all is well with anyone who takes the time to read this.


God bless!! Have a great start to your week tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment