Friday, September 3, 2010

Our First Married Labor Day Weekend

Richard is in Pharmacy school, as most of you all know, and before each semester he is required to take a rotation at some Pharmacy (whether with a hospital or a retail store like CVS, Walgreens, etc.) for 2 weeks. He chose to do this particular rotation in Jackson, MS from August 23 - September 3, thinking it would be good to get his name in Jackson in case we decide to move back after he graduates Pharmacy school.


I have been unemployed since August 1st, so I originally assumed I wouldn't be able to drive into Jackson with him, in hopes that I would have landed a fabulous job by the time he had his rotation. Unfortunately, I had not landed a job by the time his rotation came around, but it was nice to be free and able to visit the family! So we drove down in different cars, just in case I heard back from any of the thousands (well it felt like thousands) of applications I had sent out. ***Which by the way, I did hear back from two and am currently in the process of training with both of them for part time positions, but that is whole different story.


So anyways, I had to come back to Birmingham on Monday, and have missed my dear husband quite a good bit. I was hoping to be able to drive back to Jackson for the Labor Day weekend so we could do a big cookout with the families and all.


***Side note:: If you have ever been out to my house, you know it is perfect for a cookout. Several acres of beautiful land, a good distance off the road with a nice sized lake, lots of grass to roll in, and all my mom's family living around the lake. It is my safe haven for sure.


However, finances really didn't want to allow me to drive down to Jackson, and then have Richard and I BOTH drive back up to Birmingham. Besides I know that if I went to Jackson we'd want to go play golf with my daddy tomorrow morning, because he is not working this weekend, we'd probably want to go to the zoo because I hear there is a new exhibit and the weather has been just fabulous for outdoor adventures (I LOVE THE ZOO), and we'd probably want to go see a movie (Richard LOVES movies)! I just feel like we should be doing things if it is a holiday AND great weather!!!! :)


I really got to thinking and praying and decided it would be best if I stayed here studying and working on learning everything I need to know for my two new jobs, and Richard could just come back to Birmingham as soon as he was released from his last day of rotation. Even though I was a little disappointed in the plans I had in my head being squashed, I realized the money we save on gas could be used to do something here, just the two of us, since we really haven't had ANY alone time in the last couple of weeks!


Well, TODAY is Richard’s final day of rotation! YAY!! He actually just called me about 30 minutes ago to let me know he was on his way home!! I can’t even tell you how excited I am!!!! So I have been trying to get all my studying done, the house cleaned, clothes and towels and sheets washed, shower taken, etc. before he gets here so we can do something fun!!!
I have been thinking hard about what would be cheap and fun that we could do, and I have decided on two things!!! One being cheap and one being fun!!! : D


We bought hot dogs right before we left for Jackson, so we are going to have our own cookout right here at the apartment!! We can’t really play any outdoor games, or fish, or roll in the grass during our cookout, but we can sit on our balcony which faces the back of the apartments and actually has a very nice, nature filled view, eat our grilled out hot dogs, and enjoy great company and conversation.


The second thing I want to do is go to the Alabama State Fair!!!!! I love the fair!!!! I saw a billboard with a sign that said something about the Alabama State fair and the dates were August something through September 6. I was only concerned with when the last day was. I just love going and walking around and eating a caramel apple, chicken on a stick, funnel cake, or well really anything as long as it comes from one of those creepy fair vendors, otherwise known as Carnies.

Now I am excited about our Labor Day weekend!!!


Unfortunately my camera has completely gone out on me, but if I can, I’ll get a disposable one and try and take some pics of our first Labor Day weekend together as a married couple.
I hope everyone enjoys their longer than usual weekend!!! Know that you are blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment