Sunday, December 5, 2010

One Crazy Way to End Year 1


So it has been FOREVER since my last posted blog. After you read this, you will see why! It has been quite an exciting/crazy/busy time in the Wakefield world!!!
Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year, and I begin celebrating the fall on October 1st!!! This particular October surprisingly brought more “excitement” than even last year!! (it was only 1 month before the wedding) But oh no!! I had no idea how crazy things could be!!
I have two part time jobs as I have mentioned before. I am a barista at Seattle Drip Coffee Company and a teacher/tutor at Sylvan Learning Center. Both of those jobs have started hopping since October. If you recall, the weather became pretty cool at the first of October, just long enough to tease us with a fabulous feel of autumn. Because of the cool weather, everyone was racing to their nearest coffee shop!! Also, it is the dead center of the semester; several schools had just received some sort of progress report or report card, so all the students are fighting to improve before the end of the year or just before mom bands them from attending homecoming, prom, or class play day. This works wonderfully for me!! I love the extra hours!!!  Richard had been working a decent amount as well. So life was just a rolling a long…. or rather flying along.
Then, on Tuesday, October 19, I had just gathered my materials together at Sylvan to begin working my 3:30 – 7:30 shift.  In the middle of my first hour my boss walked out of her office with a pale, worried expression. “Lana, can you come into my office for a quick second?” I of course said, “Sure Ms. Laura, no problem.” I started trying to think of what I could have possibly have done wrong to have her pull me away from the table in the middle of a lesson. My other boss quickly ran to cover my table until I returned. Once I was in her office she said, “There is someone on the phone from Samford’s Health Clinic and they are trying to reach you concerning your husband. I’ll leave you in here.” So she walked out and shut the door. The conversation I had with the nurse practitioner was very brief, and all she really could tell me was that Richard had come to them with an extremely elevated heart rate and was having strange sensations in his head/brain. They had advised he be sent to the hospital immediately to be looked over. SOOO since he couldn’t contact me on my cell phone, because we leave our cell phones on silent and in the back while teaching, they called an ambulance to pick him up.
When I walked out and told my bosses all I knew, they offered to cover/cancel my lessons, and get me to the hospital. See, even though I have lived here now, for almost a year, I get lost on just about a daily basis. Laura was so kind to let me follow her to the hospital.
I found Richard in an ER room, waiting on the doctor. To make a long story short, after several hours in the ER, an EKG, a CT scan, and a brief meeting with a doctor I wanted to knock out, they discharged him believing it was a migraine. My argument that night was “He isn’t in pain, his head doesn’t hurt, and he has had migraines before! This is different!! Also, would anyone like to take some blood work and just double check??” Oh well, they gave him a shot that knocked him out and we came home. No worries.
The next day I felt sorry for him, and offered to take him to Newk’s for lunch. As we were sitting there eating, having a happy conversation as I recall, his face went blank and he whispered, “It’s happening again.” Again, trying to keep this fairly short, after boxing up our lunches, getting him in the car, a few phone calls with the mom’s, and then him going limp on the right side and slightly unresponsive, I drove faster than Jeff Gorden trying to get his butt right up to the ER AGAIN!!!! I demanded MRI’s, blood work, etc. I just wanted everything ruled out at this point. After blood work, MRI, etc, they admitted us and we got to spend the night on the neurological floor, where they check on you ever hour. :/ He was released the next day around 4:00.
So now, he is doing fine. We are still unsure of what all really went on with his body, and we are unable to get an appointment with the neurologist thanks to the crappy insurance company.

However, I want everyone to know he is doing fine. He hasn’t had any (what I call) spells. J God has been beyond good to us and has shown His mighty grace and power with providing the first payments of the medical bills and still having what we need.

My hours have been great, though I am probably working way too hard and way too many hours for my body, I am not going to complain one bit!!! I need the money and both sets of bosses have been absolutely amazing with allowing me to leave and travel back to Jackson whenever I need or want.
We had a fabulous Halloween!!!!! Lots of fun!!!
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Baton Rouge and Jackson over the Thanksgiving holidays!! And I felt as though I had more to be thankful for this year than anyone else I know!!
Not to mention we celebrated our 1st year anniversary as a married couple back in Birmingham, by spending more than money than we should have on a meal that Richard claims was “stupid good!”

We bought a Christmas tree and decorated it, enjoyed the cool weather, and ate fabulous food at Brio.

Now, Richard is preparing for his finals next week, and I am working as much as I possibly can, while we both are looking forward to the Christmas holidays!!!!
Merry Christmas!!! May God bless you all!!!
Please remember to count your blessings!! We have so many we take for granted. Not to mention that we receive so many more blessings through those times of struggle. J This Wakefield family is only one small example of the living proof that statement brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment